Google Drive is a brand new file synchronization product that allows users to centrally store all of their files in Google Docs. Files can be accessed via a web browser, the Google Drive client, and the Google Drive mobile app.
Google Drive access will be rolling out to all domains over the next 4-8 weeks.
There are numerous changes in Google Docs, some of which are noted below. Please see the "For more information" section at the end which contains additional details.
What’s completely new
- Sync files between all of your devices with Google Drive for your Mac/PC
- Download the Drive mobile app for your iPhone or iPad
- View and search Google Drive on the web in a visual way with grid view
- Add a file to a folder by clicking the folder icon within a file or Google document, spreadsheet, or presentation
- Work with more file types by installing Google Drive apps from the Chrome Web Store
- Collections are now called folders
- More things have been added to the Settings menu, including upload settings
- The left navigation has new views: "My Drive", "Shared with me", and "Activity"
- The Home view is gone. Instead, use My Drive to organize all of your files, folders and Google Docs.
- Rapid domains
Google Drive will become available to your users on an opt-in basis via invite at drive.google.com/start. Because we’re releasing Google Drive gradually, some users may not be able to get started immediately, but they can request to be notified when Google Drive is ready for them to opt in.
In the coming months, Google Drive will become the default and will replace the documents list as the way for users to access their files and documents. At this time, all users will have access to the desktop sync clients and mobile applications.
- Scheduled domains
Google Drive will become available to your users on an opt-in basis shortly. We’ll announce when this is available on whatsnew.googleapps.com. Following the opt-in period, Google Drive will become the default and will replace the documents list as the way for users to access their files and documents. At this time, all users will have access to the desktop sync clients and mobile applications.
Google Apps, Google Apps for Business, Government and Education
All supported languages
How to access what's new:
- Google Docs has been renamed to "Drive and Docs" in the Google Apps control panel. There are new settings in this service.
For more information:
Get these product update alerts by email
Subscribe to the RSS feed of these updates